Friday, February 25, 2011
invisible man
as i read the book more I really start to see the idea of being invisible. Dr. bledsoe pretends to be a good black man, when in reality he is trying to gain power by any means necessary. He is keeping his true self invisible, so that he can gain authority. The book also has a black v. white undertones. black people are treated as servants but several ironies are present in the book. For instance to make a pure white color, a black chemical or substance had to be mixed to make it a pure white. this shows that black was needed to make white, which is a symbol of the black people working to make the item used by the whies. Also more of a change in making sure that the correct dosage of each chemical was mixed, was black showing that only the black man can make the perfect white. The book is filled with people pulling the string in the background, and I am really perplexed by the narrators perspective. I want to see how this plays a role in his life as the book progresses
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI believe this is a brief enough insight of Invisible Man. It gives me a brief synopsis of what I would have expected to notice while reading the novel. The statement "black was needed to make white" is very true, because without blacks, there would be no need to distinguish yourself from being any other type of race (and it's the same for all other races as well). I hope you got a deeper meaning of the storyline and you overcame your perplexed state of mind.
ReplyDeleteShanyce R.
I found this information very enlightening! I never knew that about the chemical compounds of a pure white substance. The whole "puppeteer" aspect of this book continued strongly until the end. Invisible Man was only allowed to achieve as much as he was given an opportunity to, and this is an extremely important aspect that is key to this novel.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you with the idea of feeling more invisible as you continued the book. I felt the same way, for even though the narrator did not know he was invisible in the end, the reader did. We saw how he was invisible, and related it to our own lives, questioning our own thoughts and actions. I also think the chemical compounds you mentioned were very interesting, I never thought changing in that way before.
ReplyDelete-Taylor C.